ACF 2015 Book Club
Book Club 2015:
Faithfulness, Witness, and Suffering
“I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage—I have conquered the world” (John 16:33, NET). Jesus speaks these words to his disciples shortly before his own suffering on the cross. It is a hard promise that we can have the peace of Christ even in the presence of trouble and suffering. Suffering can cause us to wrestle with our faith for it is all too common in our fallen world; whether we suffer, someone we love suffers, or even the suffering we see on a massive global scale. We want the peace and courage of Christ’s promise without trouble and suffering, yet such a promise would not be Christian, for it has no need of the cross. Jesus on the cross is centre stage for our witness of the good news of God.
Join me this fall as we explore and discuss what each of these authors and stories has to say about faithfulness, suffering, and witness. We will meet on Saturday mornings over breakfast, so bring a breakfast item to share!
Please read the material for the class you are attending. The library has two copies of each book needed as well as printouts of the articles. The articles are also available for download on the church website. The ISBNs of the books are provided to ease your search in finding your own copies. If you’d like to purchase the books online I recommend abebooks.com , www.amazon.ca, and www.chapters.ca.
Class One: October 31, 9 am
Topic: Introduction to Suffering and Personal Suffering
1. Chapter Two “How Could a Good God Allow Suffering” of The Reason for God by Tim Keller. Click Here to Download
2. A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows Through Loss by Jerry Sittser (ISBN: 0310258952).
Class Two: November 21, 9 am
Topic: The Persecuted Church
1. The Insanity of God: A True Story of Faith Resurrected by Nik Ripken (ISBN: 1433673088 )
Class Three: December 12, 9 am
Topic: Faith in the Face of Violence
1. What Would you Do?: Serious Answer to a Standard Question by John Howard Yoder (ISBN: 0836136039)
2. The Story of Dirk Willems from the Martyr's Mirror. URL: http://www.homecomers.org/mirror/dirk-willems.htm or Click Here to Download
3. “Upside-Down Forgiveness” by Donald B. Kraybill. URL: http://amishgrace.com/files/2013/10/Upside-Down-Forgiveness.pdf. or Click Here to Download
Class Four: January 16, 9 am
Topic: Faithful Witness in Suffering
1." 'On Earth as It Is in Heaven': Holiness and the People of God in Revelation” by Dean Flemming. Click Here to Download
2. Chapters 8 & 9 of David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Click Here to Download
3. “How I Rediscovered Faith” by Malcolm Gladwell. Click Here to Download